- 12.85″ display with a 3:2 aspect ratio
- 2560 x 1700 at 239 PPI
- 400 nit screen brightness
- 178° extra-wide viewing angle
- Gorilla® Glass multi-touch screen
- Backlit Chrome keyboard
- Clickable, etched-glass touchpad
- Integrated 720p HD camera
- 297.7 x 224.6 x 16.2 mm
- 3.35 lbs / 1.52 kg
- Machined from anodized aluminum
- Active cooling with no visible vents
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- Intel® Core™ i5 processor (Dual Core 1.8GHz)
- Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (Integrated)
- 2 x USB 2.0
- mini display port
- SD / MMC card reader
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- One terabyte Google Drive cloud storage for three years
- 32GB solid state drive (64GB on LTE model)
- Combo headphone/mic jack
- Built-in microphone array
- Integrated DSP for noise cancellation
- Powerful stereo speakers tuned for clarity
- Dual-band WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n 2×2
- Bluetooth® 3.0
- Built-in LTE modem (LTE model)
- Up to 5 hours of active use (59 Wh battery)
Size / weight
Suggested Retail Price
The quality of the product is outstanding and I should be reaching for my plastic; but I’m not. A ZNet blog post by James Kendrick states it best.
So Google’s wonderful display on the Chromebook Pixel had the desired effect on me. It made me want a great display, so I bought a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a Retina Display. I don’t think it ended quite the way Google hoped it would, though.
Why did Jim abandon the Pixel and spend $200 more for an Apple?
- Apple Brand
- OS X
- 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
- 128GB flash storage
- 7 hours of battery operation
In reality the price of the Pixel may very well be a great value for a laptop of this build quality, but the market expected something different. In my opinion priced at $699 or $799 sale price would be viral and the Google Play store would be showing “Sold Out”.
Some things I would change to reach these price points.
- Replace Intel i5 with a low power ARM SoC (nVidia / Samsung / Qualcomm / LG / Others)
- As the product does not morph into a tablet, lose the touch screen
- Replace the anodized aluminum case with a stylish polycarbonate material
- Up battery operation to 7 hours
If the goal of Pixel was to make a statement the result has to be something different, something better, and something more affordable than a high end Ultra book or Mac book.
Hopefully the next round of Chromebooks will get there.